Days in the hospital: 26 (11/28-12/22)
Number of my children who celebrated birthdays while I was in the hospital: 2
Age I turned on my birthday while in the hospital: 36
Most ironic statement: initial admission note referred to "a brief admission"; duration was expected to be 3-5 days.
Number of roommates while I was here: 5
Number of doctors involved in my care: approx. 12 (three surgeons, four surgical residents, three Infectious Disease doctors, one Invasive Radiology doctor, and my primary care doctor.
Number of nurses involved in my care: approx. 22
Number of gifts received or items loaned from the nursing staff, showing I was there way too long: 5
- 6th season of Buffy, The Vampire Slayer so I could see "Once More With Feeling"; disc wouldn't load in my laptop so I still haven't seen it yet.
- Balloons for my birthday
- Lyrics to "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses
- 10 CDs of Christmas songs composed by one of the nurses, who gives a new CD out each year as his Christmas card
- a ChapStick
Coolest lab coat adornment: my surgeon wears a gold Elvis "TCB in a Flash" lapel pin on his lab coat.
Interesting fact: a disproportionate number of MGH doctors wear bow ties. I don't know why this is. Maybe to keep the ties from dangling into patients during surgery-- dry cleaning silk is expensive, even on a doctor's salary.
Number of different IV insertions: about seven
Highest fever recorded: 105.7 F
Number of times packed with ice to bring down fever: 2
Number of days on a "cooling blanket" to take down fevers: 4
Days on IV fluids, no IV nutrition: 8
Days listed as NPO (nothing by mouth except ice chips and sips of water): 23
Number of days on "clear liquids": 3
Number of days on "soft solids": 2
Number of dreams involving food and/or drink during my NPO status: 6
Number of flavored lip balm sticks I received while NPO: 5
- 4 Blistex "Fruit Smoothies"
- 1 Strawberry Kiwi
Number of these flavors described as "limited edition": 1 (Blistex "Fruit Smoothie" Strawberry Banana)
Number of flavored lip balm sticks I was overjoyed to receive just so I could have some damn flavor: 5
Amount of money spent on the $5/day basic cable TV service before I had them shut it off: $65
Amount of money it would have cost if I kept the basic cable TV service the entire stay: $125
Amount of money the average monthly Boston resident pays for basic cable: about $40
DVDs watched during stay:
- entire 2nd season of Smallville, 2x for those episodes with commentary
- entire 2nd season of Chapelle's Show, 2x for those episodes with commentary
- Series 1 & 2 of Spaced (UK comedy), twice in the entirety because every episode had commentary
- Fourth season of The West Wing, episodes with commentary only
- Batman Begins
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Burton/Depp version)
- The Powers of Ten & 901 (Eames Design films)
- Mother, Jugs & Speed
- The Incredibles
DVD's loaned but not yet viewed:
- Reefer Madness, the Musical
- Lost, season 1
- Firefly, entire series
- Twin Peaks, season 1
- Kieslowski's The Decalogue
Number of gifts from "the YesAnd.com" crew awaiting me when I got home: 4
Number of those gifts that made my head explode as I opened them: 4
Number of beers I will have to buy these people when next I see them in person: Several dozen. Maybe even several hundred.
Number of beers I will share with them: 0 (The pancreas no longer plays nice with alcohol.)
Number of TheaterSports rehearsals missed: 3
Number of Cinderella Rocks! performances missed: 4
Days without internet access: 25